Sunday Times07 September 2008
Rape of Justice Cartoon 1
The South African Sunday Times published a cartoon depicting Zuma ready to engage in a rape of Lady Justice. This cartoon was published in the South African Sunday Times on the 7th September 2008. The cartoon depicts ANC president Jacob Zuma (obligatory shower faucet on his head) unbuckling his pants and being egged on to “Go for it, boss” by ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe, who — along with alliance leaders Julius Malema, Zwelinzima Vavi and Blade Nzimande — is shown pinning the Lady of Justice to the ground. While this cartoon has certainly created a growing furor from the Tripartite Alliance (three part alliance between the African National Congress (ANC), the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) and the South African Communist Party (SACP) it has started more public discussion than ever before on the subject of Jacob Zuma and the South African Justice system. While the ANC says the cartoon is not funny, Zapiro and the editor of the Sunday Times say the ANC and other criticism of cartoon misses the point. The background to the cartoon:
- Malema had threatened to kill for Zuma if the case relating to his corruption charges went ahead.
- Vavi had echoed Malema's pledge and Mantashe said there would be anarchy if the case continued. Judges of the Constitutional Court were also called "counter-revolutionary"
- It was common knowledge that Zuma's allies in the tripartite alliance were calling for a political solution to Zuma's corruption charges.
Given this background Zapiro believed Zuma and the others depicted in the cartoon had threatened the justice system.
ORDER THIS CARTOON
LICENSE THIS CARTOON
- South Africa’s Zuma drops defamation suit over rape cartoon|
- Zapiro in Zuma cartoon uproar|
- Jonathan Berger: In defence of Zapiro|
- Disgust at Zuma 'rape' cartoon|
- Zuma cartoon: Worth a thousand words?|
- Jonathan Shapiro's letter to Eric Mokonyama of the Legal services to SA Human Rights Commission on the subject of the cartoon|
- Zapiro cartoon 080911mg - Rape of Justice 2|
- Zapiro cartoon 080914st - Rape of Justice 3Related cartoons from other cartoonists
- Damien Giez - Afrique du Sud: “Z” versus “Z”…|
- South African president, Jacob Zuma withdrew on 28 October his claim for damages against a cartoon by Zapiro, ending a four-year saga between the two men. Fellow cartoonist, Damien Glez shares his view on the matter with us.|
- Jerm's Satire for Dummies via Africartoons.com|
- Stent on 30 Oct 2012 in Noseweek via Africartoons.com|
- Mangena on 23 Oct 2011 in Sunday World via Africartoons.com|
- BULLDOZING THE JUDICIARY: STIDY joins in the defence of ZAPIRO and draws the obvious conclusion: that this Zuma machine will not be dissuaded from attacking the judiciary. - Stidy on 10 Sep 2008 in The Witness via Africartoons.com